This was supposed to be a humorous post about what that dirt smudge on kids' noses is comprised of. But then I started drawing a nose, and it was so beautiful I could not cover it up with a smudge.
So instead, I am going to give you random stuff that flowed through my head as I drew it. Think of it as free association on the topic of The Nose:
- When drawing the human face the nostrils are supposed to be darkest, but if you actually draw them that way the face looks just like Miss Piggy.
- In French a nose is called "un nez", which also happens to be what they call someone who develops perfumes for a living. When I was 13 that is what I wanted to be when I grew up.
- I cannot draw a baby nose, its all just adult noses (by extrapolation you can figure out that I cannot draw baby faces either)
- Kids' noses are magnets of the following: dirt, dogs' tongues, their own finger, and my business. No wonder they are sick all the time.
- Nostrils are highly undignified. Just ask yourself - if you were staring down the barrel of Brad Pitt's nostrils, would the thing running through your head still be, "Oh, he sooo dreamy!"
- The more average a human face is (devoid of really unique characteristics) the more attractive it is considered to be (only tangentially nose-related, but still)