I Never Thought Water Could Make Me Depressed

There are few things in this world that really depress me. I am an optimist and I tend to see the positive of most things. But there is something that flat out depresses me.

When the girls and I go swimming, they hate putting their faces in the water and won't take instruction from me. They are perfectly content to just bob about on the surface of the water with their floaties. That's it.

My mom tossed me in a pool when I was 5 months old and I have been swimming ever since. I have been on some swim team or another almost my whole life. When I was 8 years old I won a gold medal at Finals. I was on a water polo team.

So as you can imagine, their extreme discomfort with water just plain depresses me. I want to share the joys of swimming with them, but they won't let me! This is not how I envisioned this going, but the reality is....

This is me:
"Ooooh, I love water! I don't wish I was "part of your world", I like it fine down here, thanks!"


This is Violet:
"I'll get you and your little dog too! Wait, is that a bucket of water? Never mind... um, we're cool, right?"


This is Ivy:
"I am so going to claw the furniture after this."

Depressing.

Comments

  1. Even though they may not be taking to water as you would have wanted/expected, give them time. Once they are a bit older and are able to express WHY they don't seem to enjoy it (or even fear it), it'll be easier to address their fears/concerns. Just make sure you don't push the issue, allow them to enjoy it the way they want and feel comfortable with ... Of course, this is just my humble opinion - feel feel to disregard the fact that I have a Masters in Counseling ;) LOL (J/K)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awe my 19 month old HATES the water while finally my 4 yr old LOVES it...now I need to teach him how to actually swim. Thanks for linking up!

    ReplyDelete
  3. lolololol. is ivy some kind of goat child? lmao, i am crying. you are freaking hilarious!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! You look GOOOOD as a mermaid!
    About the girls, you might want to take them where they give instruction with a couple of other kids. As Laura said, at this point they cannot say why they are not so much into the water thing, so I'll tell you instead: they don't know why, they just reacted to someone nearby feaking out(mommy, daddy?), even if that person was acting non-chalant, kids perceive EVERYTHING!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. LOL, I laughed again when I read she was a cat. I dunno, but this post has me in stitches.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is funny--I love it. You poor thing--You and I are the opposites! I almost drowned at the age of 8 or so. Don't worry; they're young. They might change their minds...

    Thanks for linking up!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I know - today is Monday but I finally made it to the second column of blog posts from the Saturday Sampling linky. I am so glad that I did.

    The odd pairings in families that God has arranged forever amuse me. Yours is a good case in point! I enjoyed this story, really. But, I will keep you in prayer as you continue to be confronted with the behavior of the aliens that have been placed under your roof. Mine have grown and moved on to raise aliens of their own. I am able to laugh now.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

What's up??

Popular posts from this blog

The Sweetest Little Thing

Pinot's Palette Town Square

Alice in Wonderland Birthday Party