Psychedelic Lunch

What must it be like to be a toddler? I am sure they think they are making sense. And maybe they are, but I just don't get it.

Or maybe being a toddler is like being on drugs. I don't know what that is like because I have never tried an illegal drug in my life. But I imagine it could be like a toddler's mind.



At lunch today this was the conversation, all delivered with wide-eyed enthusiasm:

Ivy: Maybe I can eat angwy pasta. You not know what angwy pasta is? Its just... you eat it when you are sick. I ate it. You know who has it? Pinnochio's kitchen table has it. He do's (does). I saw'd it. And he has chocolate apples candy pizza.  And wombs (worms).  Weally ugly gwoss cooked wombs. (laughs) Just for pretend wombs. I'm just kidding about that. Candy wombs.

And hair. (laughs again) Gween beans. Chocolate gween beans with apples. And lollipops, and corn and chocolate chip ice cweam, vanilla cweam cheese, womb stockings, frutilla*  carnival, cookies, um... pasta... plants...Missouri...a little bit of cookies but it has wasbewwies in in it. And chocolate, and tree...hm what else... snakes, lizard cookies, clouds...um um um... and nuffing else.

(pauses, looking at her plate)

Mom! Don't tell me there's potatoes in there!

Me: There are potatoes in there.

Ivy: I'm fweaking out!

Me: Why?

Ivy: Because I love potatoes.


* Spanish for strawberry

Comments

  1. Oh my, this is hilarious. You are incredibly talented at translating toddlerease! Please add that to your mommy resume. As I was reading this post, I was literally thinking, I could read an entire novel full of your toddler translation. VEry funny! Thanks for the laugh. And thanks for all the comment luv on my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have troubles with google friend connect i need to work out, in the mean time do you have a twitter account? If so, leave it in a comment on my blog so I can follow you. or email me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have a 4 1/2 year old niece, and is so angelic looking, but she is the same child who loves snails, and will willing bring you a handful to show you the pretty, moving stones that she has found!
    Oh, to see the world through the eyes of a child again!
    Thank you for commenting on my blog!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey! Missouri got a shout-out in there! lol

    ReplyDelete
  5. WOW! It was as if I was back in college! LOL ... I could totally picture her saying all of this :) ADORABLE!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Soooo cute! I totally pictured her saying this with her hand gestures and everything! LOVE her "r" sounds (ice cweam)!!! You are very talented in translating her conversations for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yes. I think toddlerhood must be like a perpetual drug trip. I don't know from experience, but it certainly seems reasonable!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

What's up??

Popular posts from this blog

The Sweetest Little Thing

Pinot's Palette Town Square

Alice in Wonderland Birthday Party